Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Teaching with Technology Day 1



Today we started the class I most feared, Teaching with Technology.  I know that logically I should not be nervous about this class, I am a product of the technological age, I have a laptop, a smart phone, and a tablet, and I use them all regularly.  This class shouldn’t be a problem, but I still felt apprehensive.  I think this apprehension comes from the fact that I have no idea how these things work in a practical sense, I know how to play Candy Crush and I can open a word document but beyond that I’m lost. How can I use these pieces of technology in a classroom? Is their use really necessary to effective instruction?
I was relieved to see that I was not the only one in this situation, far from it.  Many of, including the instructors approached the idea of using technology in the classroom with some optimistic skepticism.  We expressed a sense of optimism that technology could add something truly valuable to the classroom, but we were skeptical that all new technologies really were valuable.  For me technology for technologies sake in the classroom is a waste of valuable instructional time but if it helps students to connect and engage in ways that weren’t previously possible I think that it in invaluable.  I am excited that in this class we will be able to explore this distinction. 
After one full class period I feel more comfortable with this class, I won’t be behind for being unknowledgeable of the various uses that technology can have in the classroom, I will be in good company.  Together hopefully we will be able to discuss what works, what doesn’t work, and why? I hope to gain a greater appreciation for technology(including appreciation for blogging, because really what do I have to say that someone else can’t say better??). But really stick with me I’m hoping to find a blogging identity for myself that will help me to explore my own ideas as an educator.   

4 comments:

  1. I had the same fears! I was especially worried about having to film and edit teaching videos. It looks like we've got people of all different levels of technilogical ability in our classes, so we won't be alone. I'm really looking forward to learning how to use new technology, and exploring when it's appropriate and when it's just a distraction, with you and our fellow MACkers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are certainly not alone, as I'm glad you've realized! One of my favorite things about the MAC program as a whole is that every class and professor approaches the question of teaching with a very open-minded, thoughtful perspective. We are not being told what we MUST do, but instead given tools that we can use at our discretion with a full understanding of the implications and purposes behind each tool. Technology appears to be no different. I'm excited about this class and I'm glad you are too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your "optimistic skepticism" turn of a phrase, Lauren...evocative and right on the money. In your conclusion, you point to an interesting potential value of this blogging enterprise, to wit, that you would find a "Blogging identity." Down the hallway in the English department they speak of the importance of students both recognizing and even establishing their own writer's voice. I like the challenge of thinking about how this might fit into your agenda as a science educator. Is it relevant and, if so, how might it be?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Lauren,

    I like how for your last paragraph, you talk about being more comfortable with the class. Now that we've reached the end of the summer, I'm wondering if you still feel this way. Maybe you still feel comfortable with the class, but a bit more uncomfortable with what we have talked about and learned. Specifically, I am thinking about how the new testing methods that will be introduced in our first year of teaching will require students to be familiar with using a computer. I think I was like you. I was getting comfortable with the idea of technology in my classroom, thinking that if I wanted to use it, I could, but that I didn't really have to. I didn't want to try to force the issue and try to fit technology in a place where it really wasn't meant to be. However, with the last class, I've started to think that I may have to try to fit technology in places just so students can get exposure to it. I guess maybe we can be nervous for class to start up again in the fall, eh?

    ReplyDelete